Monday, July 18, 2011

Barcelona: Deja Vu or, as the Spanish say, Deja Vu


Barcelona unsettled me a bit.  It reminded me so much of so many other places I have been that my first impression was that I was either in Savannah, Vienna or back home in Monterey County.

You may think that the Spanish being spoke all around would be enough to remind me that I was somewhere new but if you think that, you probably have never been to California where Spanish is spoken as prolifically as English.

So I was a bit worried that we had seen so many places in such a short period of time the world was in danger of turning homogeneous for us.  Were we going to need to travel to Laos in order to experience something that seemed totally foreign?  The irony is that Spain is the only place on our list where not one of us had been before.

But then we went to places like Gaudi Park and shopped for FC Barcelona jerseys and then it all eventually sunk in.
Spain.  Barcelona.  We're here.  Crisis averted.













No comments: