Sunday, October 18, 2015

Prato (and some place called Florence)


Let me start by saying that Prato is not Florence.
It's small, its plazas and statues have not been well maintained (although they're working on this issue), there are only a few museums, it doesn't have the Arno. It also doesn't have throngs of crowds so thick you say to yourself "This must be what it's like running with the bulls in Pamplona."

Last time I thought that our sense of disappointment in Florence was due to visiting it on a Monday (closed museums) and the fact that it was pouring rain. But sunshine and a Wednesday didn't improve anything. In fact, I liked it less this time around.
Maybe the first time it was simply that we were there later in the season, maybe the rain drew the crowds away, whatever the case, this time around I felt like I was back in Venice. Even if you don't suffer from enochlophobia as I do (yes, it's real, it's listed in the DSM), it's difficult to understand how one would enjoy visiting a place when you've got to share the space with so many thousands of people. In practical terms, it's just so hard to see anything. (I make this comment with complete awareness that I, by my own tourist presence, was contributing to the throng).

However, Florence (Firenze for you purists) is only a 20 minute train ride from Prato so we had to give it a go. Our trip mainly consisted of walking in circles trying to find a museum without a 5 hour wait to get in.

On the plus side, we had a lovely lunch in an unexpected place: the Mercato Centrale and managed to get some time in the Medici museum which momentarily assuaged my guilt over not keeping up with the boys' school work as well as I had hoped we would (who am I kidding I knew we'd get behind).

Then it was back to Prato which was where we really enjoyed ourselves. Enrico's recommendations were spot on, we enjoyed one restaurant so much we broke our strict rule and went twice (the only other place we allowed ourselves to do that was La Sosta in Lake Garda). The second time we were treated to one of the best waiters on the planet. The kind of waiter who, after you order, thinks for a moment and says "I think you'll like this soup better," points to the menu, describes it a little and when said soup arrives you spend a few minutes with your family being amazed that such a bowl of goodness could exist in the same world where Hot Pockets are manufactured and sold as items to be consumed. It is the sort of soup we will dream about and talk about for years to come. The sort of thing against which every other soup will try to measure up and will invariably fail.

But back to Prato.

There were lovely gelaterias, some even more lovely bars and the Museo di Palazzo Pretorio which in itself probably isn't so remarkable (the avant-garde films I could do without and the ceiling-high medieval art depicting the beheading of John the Baptist is not my cup of tea) but the timing of our visit and the arrival of a thunderstorm made it really memorable. By the time we got to the fifth floor (my favorite, I prefer ivory statues to dark oil paintings of decapitations) it was directly overhead, with thunder so loud it rattled the windows. We spent a while not only looking at the great view but also hiding out since none of us had brought umbrellas or rain coats.

Over all we had quite a bit of rain which some might find disheartening but for us drought-weary Californians it was refreshing. Despite the rain the temperatures stayed in the low to mid 70s so it was never unpleasant.

They had rain in Florence too. And I'm sure the weather was balmy as well. But the thought of being smacked in the head by 30,000 umbrellas while trying to get a photo of a corner of some famous sight or other doesn't sound like my idea of a good time. Prato isn't as impressive but I'll take its quiet, slightly dilapidated, empty streets and plazas over noise and crowds any day.

-------
The Medici Museum, lunch and other random bits of Florence.
















Prato.



























Monica, I know I promised you a photo of the Aperol spritz but this is the only one I could find. For as many as I drank, you'd think I would have a better one. Get ready to try one when we return!


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. Luciano's Gelateria! Foto perfetta! Wish I could have had some with you.

As for Bella Firenze, I agree with your sentiments. My last visit (just prior to meeting you in Romania) felt much the same, and I spent most of my time while there visiting places outside of the downtown historical district, which was a mob scene. It helped that I was staying with my friends in an outlying area, and they were able to take me to new and different places that aren't frequented by the international tourist crowd. They confessed to me that they and all other Florentines avoid the downtown historical district as much as possible nowadays due to over-crowding. It's a bit sad - there is so much to see and enjoy there, but the environment doesn't lend itself to enjoyment these days.

I've said it before, and will say it again - I LOVE THIS BLOG!