Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Las Vegas


What happens in Vegas, stays in Vegas.

So say the ads.

I'm going to break the rule and reveal everything that happened to us in Vegas:

Nothing.

Oh sure, we ate.  When don't we?  But that was it.  This is not subterfuge people, really, we didn't do much more than eat.

Okay, we walked around The Venetian, Paris, and Caesars Palace.  (Venice, Paris and Rome).

Now, before I continue, let me preface by saying that I am not dogging Vegas nor am I trying to come off as one of those obnoxious, worldly-wise travelers who has seen it all and can no longer be impressed by anything.

However, it just so happens that we were recently in those three aforementioned cities. So I'll be honest, we weren't blown away with the Vegas versions although the boys were impressed with the river running through the middle of the Venetian.

In retrospect, what we should have done was go to the Luxor and Excalibur to ensure we saw something totally different than anything we'd experienced during the past year.  But those hotels were at the opposite end of the strip from where we were staying and the best word to describe us in Vegas was not decadent, not inebriated, not even energetic.  It was lazy.

Vegas isn't the city in which to be lazy.  Who goes there to hang out in a hotel room and watch The Big Bang Theory all afternoon?  Oh sure, people do.  They do that because they're storing up their reserves for a marathon night of drinking and gambling and whatever else they do in the City of Lights.

But we went to bed at 9.

If it weren't for the obligation I felt to get photos for this blog if I might never have left the hotel at all.  But I know the Europeans want to see Vegas.  So out we went.

It's a hard city to photograph because of course it's most impressive at night but there's so much movement that it's not easy to capture.  Which is to say, when you're lazy and want nothing more than to return to the hotel and dive into bed, it's a challenge.














 

Perhaps Vegas wasn't the best city with which to end our Southern U.S Tour.  You don't put a place like that on the tail end of an exhausting journey.  But last time I checked, I wasn't able to relocate cities with my mind.

Sorry Europeans.  I'm sure you were hoping for more.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The end of travel adventures in Europe is visiting fake Europe... ha!